Civic Engagement Leadership Institute
What does it mean to be socially responsible?
How can you become a change agent in your community?
This leadership camp is an intensive summer enrichment experience that helps high school students answer these questions and empowers them to impact Triangle communities through socially conscious thought and action. Students explore social issues, work with nonprofit agencies, and formulate service projects. Students will develop a combination of knowledge, skills, values, and motivation to help shape the future of the Triangle and beyond.
Graduation includes a Capstone Project presentation by student teams that address a community need--Think "Shark Tank"!
A panel of community judges will evaluate presentations and select the winning team.
For more details, please see the "Civic Engagement Leadership Institute Details" section below.
- Build knowledge, skills and confidence as a leader in order to
achieve greater success.
- Explore current, relevant and local issues that will spark engaged citizenship.
- Practice strategies for leading positive change.
- Institute hours can also be used to complete the Mayor’s and Presidential Award (there is a separate application process for these).
- In this competitive college environment, volunteerism/civic engagement is a distinguishing factor with many universities requiring a demonstrated commitment to service.
Duke University Smith Warehouse
When you complete the registration form,
you will automatically be directed to the online payment form
There are a limited number of scholarships available for
need-based financial assistance for the
Civic Engagement Leadership Institute.
Please Click Here
to complete our scholarship application form
CIVIC ENGAGEMENT LEADERSHIP INSTITUTE DETAILS
Who We Serve
-Rising 10th graders through 12th grade students
-The institute accepts up to 20 students per week
Institute Date and Times
July 22-26 (July 20 Orientation-mandatory)
6 day curriculum. Teambuilding/orientation on Saturday prior to session (mandatory). The full curriculum runs Monday - Friday, 8:30am – 5:30pm
Early and Late Drop-off Options
Students can be dropped off at 8:00am and picked up no later than 5:45pm. Late pick-up fees apply after 5:45pm.
-Only students that have signed parental waivers will be allowed to go off campus for lunch.
-If you choose to pack a lunch for your student, please note that there is no refrigerator or microwave available.
-Snacks are provided daily. If your student has food allergies, please pack a snack for them.
-Students or their parents will complete on online application and survey. To register, please click the registration link above. Confirmation of enrollment will not be confirmed until tuition is payed in full. Institute openings are filled on a first-come first-serve basis.
The following information is also required:
- Program Participation Waiver
- Copy of Health/Medical coverage for student (all students enrolled in these programs MUST have health/medical coverage)
- Completion of the Registration Form and all relevant information including allergies, etc)
Failure to provide this information will exclude participation in the program.
Payment Deadlines and Details
- A $300 portion of the tuition is due with the application, with the remaining amount is due by June 10. If applying after June 10, the full tuition amount is due at the time of application. Applications and payments are accepted until the camp is filled.
- Refunds of full tuition (minus a $50 nonrefundable administration fee) will be granted until June 15. After June 15, refunds will be given only if the space is filled
by another student. If the space is not filled, the entire amount paid will be forfeited.
-Payments can be made online or by check. To pay online, please scroll up and click the payment link above. If paying by check, please make checks out to The Triangle Nonprofit & Volunteer Leadership Center (TNVLC) with "CELI” in the memo line
-Please contact Kim Shaw: email@example.com
Looking for other Service and Leadership Activities?
Thank you to our supporters & partners!
Copyright © 2019 The Triangle Nonprofit & Volunteer Leadership Center (formerly The Volunteer Center) • Durham, NC • 919-321-8910 • www.thevolunteercenter.org